Wednesday 14 May 2014

New Toys!

Yay! New wood elf army book means new toys for me. I didn't anticipate many of the changes, so I'm going to need to buy some models. The army is the same style as it has always been, but with a ton of changes to each unit, and some new units.


Today I bought a box of eternal guard and a box of wild riders. The eternal guard are pretty cool. Stubborn, LD 9, WS 5 and core. I love the new models and rules, and am super excited to build these mofos. Darkster and I got in a couple of games and they were stellar game 1; stubbornly holding to the last man. In the second game they fled a change and got the fuck outta there. Oh well.

The army still lacks a finishing punch. Before I used treekin for this. Treekin are now strength 4, 4+/6++. Less points of course, but now not as useful TBH. Instead I have wild riders for some combat punch, so I'm gonna have to build up a bunch of those bitches. I'm going to use the proper models for 5, and likely make 5 wolf riders. Then I can field two units, or just mix-n'-match if I want one big unit.

The 5 sister of the thorn torsos that come in the WR box will be put on my converted elk steeds and used as a bodyguard for my wizard. They are essentially dark elf warlocks but with worse spells and the option to take command (and special, but I don't see that mattering). They are literally the perfect wizard bodyguard.

Then I need to buy more cav for core, waywatchers (because they are bonkers cool now), and build some mounted characters.

My 24 dryads and 6 treekin, all painted, are going to warm the bench for now. This would make me upset except that I always did prefer the elves, I was playing the spirits because they seemed the right choice at the time. Now they seem like the wrong choice...

In reality this book has given me what I always wanted, it's just going to cost some cash. It's also hard to fault GW for selling me models. Also they didn't apply any unjustified price increases, so I'm feeling surprisingly sated about what I'm getting for my money. I'm actually more mad that I need all new move trays.

Overall I'm happy with the book and excited to play.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! You'll have blocks of elves to fight now! And all of those new models look really, really good. I'm super happy you plan to get waywatchers because those guys are indeed awesome. Also glad that wicker-shields made it into more of the army.

    ReplyDelete