Monday 25 March 2013

Polybian Romans - Painting Hastati

My mid-Republican Romans are in for our ancient wargame, and for my first post I've done a step-by-step for the painting of my Hastati. These guys were the lowest class of Rome's heavy infantry. The models are Old Glory 15mm, and they're pretty good. The selling point for me was the variation of poses (2-4 poses depending on model) which really beats the identical ranks many other well-sculpted ranges offered. The quality is quite good...these guys actually clock in at 18mm but they aren't too bulky and wouldn't look outsized beside Flames of War models. Lots of casting-flash is unfortunately present on some of the big, flat shield fronts however...and the spear sizes vary widely, but overall I'm quite happy with the models. The pictures aren't too great as I had to take them all with a flash which kinda kills the close-ups.

To the left are the basecoated models. As our heavy infantry is mounted 4 to a 40mm wide base, I'll be gluing/blutacking them to these wood stir sticks to paint. I based black as I wasn't originally going to ink these models...

...but seeing the pile of lead in front of me (160+ infantry figures) quickly changed that. I think I'll base future Hastati white to speed painting the robes, and the brass doesn't need a black undercoat like an iron alloy. First step is simple, with a solid bright basecoat over all of the model. I've used a mix of GW and Vallejo paints. I find the Vallejo (FoW) paints to go on over the black almost as well as the GW foundation paints. The shield is done with Mechrite Red...have to be careful with brushstrokes showing up with foundation paints on flat surfaces.


A wash of Agrax Earthshade darkens the models up again...as a note, I was originally skeptical about the new GW washes versus their old inks, but having tried them found a subtle improvement. I still wish they came concentrated and not premixed, but they don't get the shiny look inks gave.

After the model was dry a small amount of ink was brushed off against the top and bottom of the shield to give a second coat just below the brass. It really helped the brass banding look less painted-on.


Finally I highlighted the models, the shields again with Mechrite and the cloaks with the same Vallejo paint but slightly brightened. I left the helmet plumes black...fancier colours reserved for the higher classes.
No flash: savour it's glory!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing. I ought to mention, as you did, that my hoplite models are good, not exceptional, more than what I require quality wise. Get this though, 5 poses! and 4 to a base, so no base will look the same (5P4 = 120, and I'm only making 24...).
    Also what is the flesh wash you use? Is that the agrax?
    I'll probably end up using mechrite red for my guys too, but the shields will make them easily distinguished.

    ReplyDelete