Thursday 14 November 2013

Some Flames of War and a Halloween Throwback

I finally got my shit together and decided to do some posting again. In the last month I've accomplished very little when it comes to war-gaming. I finally got all my Americans based.
As you can plainly see, I've only done the bases for the infantry and the whitewashing for the tanks but this means that when I field either my infantry company or my tank company it'll look good from a distance.

Below is a picture of LCol Abrams. Not exactly an impressive paint job, but it's a start.

I also ended up purchasing 2 Flames of War started sets for the RMC Wargames Club.

The starter sets contain a German infantry company accompanied by some StuGs and some AT guns.
As well as a British tank company accompanied by some U.S. Paratroopers.
The mini rule-books are nice to have around, but they have a pretty shitty binding. The dice and token sets are nice as well. The tokens are thick cardboard; not the most durable, but pretty good for a starter set.
The terrain the starter set comes with is kinda nifty. Once again it is just thick cardboard, but it is printed very nicely. 
The set comes with more than enough walls, buildings and forests to play the contents of the box, which would be really handy for a new player. 
They also have text on them that describes what each kind of terrain piece does. As I bought these sets to teach new players the game, this comes in really freakin' handy 
Lastly the box comes with a V1 rocket. I guess this is just for show as it is kinda big to use as an objective. I'm probably gonna steal these and turn them into Ork heavy weapons teams. The one thing I find disappointing about the starter set is the lack of bombardment templates and minefield templates. Even though we have been playing for a long time, we still just use one I cut out of clear plastic. I mean, I think I did a pretty good job, I even doodles explosions on it, but, come on, I want a blast template and I don't want to pay full price for it! But I guess I'm just demanding. 
Pictured was only the contents of one of the starter sets. If you want to see what two starter sets looks like copy the pictures yourself; I'm pretty lazy. Finally in Flames of War news: I'm starting a King Tiger company! I found some cheap ones online. I'll post some pictures when I get them.

Last but not least, here was my Halloween costume this year:
Yeap. I went as Commodore 64 Zapp Brannigan! As you can probably guess I knew all the quotes. Let me tell you that skirts are breezy to the extreme, and that it is very difficult to find gloves that go over a man's forearms.
Also, by the end of the night, neither I nor the hotel room looked that good. We had like 15-20 people in there. Shit. Show.

1 comment:

  1. Jed that is all so awesome but the costume is the best! Halloween in a skirt must have been a chilly scene but I'm sure it was worth it to deliver manly lines all night long like fine cham-pag-nay.

    ReplyDelete