Monday 27 January 2014

Lizardmen Painting Post #1: Saurus Paint Process

In this post I'm going to go step by step through the process I use to paint my Saurus Warriors.






So lets start with the finished product. I've got 2 done so far and I'm cataloging my progress on the third.



I start with a base coat of Chaos Black and then cover all the lizard's body with a coat of Incubi Darkness.

The first layer is Sybarite Green on top of the Incubi Darkness.

I cover the scales with a layer of Warpstone Glow.

Then I wash the whole lizard in a light cover of Coelia Greenshade.
The shield gets a coat of Dheneb Stone, and all the bone parts in Bleached Bone.
Then I cover all of that in Brown Ink (Yeah I know its fuckin old, but I think its the best paint pot the bastards at GW ever released).
 All the metal portions are done in 3 layers: Balthasar Gold, then Hashut Copper, Golden Griffon.
Side note: Golden Griffon is a dry brush paint, I've found that it can be difficult to apply with a normal brush because of its thickness. I overcame this with a silicon brush, it works really well because it doesn't have bristles to stray into crevasses in the model.
The weapon haft is done in Rhinox Hide, and detailed in Blood Red.
All of the scaly parts on the model (including the shield) get another wash in Coelia Greenshade.

Here is the finished product, while I was going over the model and pictures I found that the bone plate on the head looks almost redish so I might change the wash on it to Gryphonne Sepia instead of Brown Ink

2 comments:

  1. Those are looking sweet, especially the green wash on the turtle shield looks bitchin'. I bought a couple golds for my warriors and have to say that balthasar gold is an awesome colour indeed. Are you excited for the temple guard? More fiddly bits and colourful doodads to paint, but like... in a good way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing such an informative post! and here is one of the best painters in chennai

    ReplyDelete